Safety Engineer - Rotorcraft
For over a 100 years, Boeing has been making the impossible, possible. From producing a single canvas-and-wood airplane to transforming how we fly over oceans and into the stars, Boeing has become the world's largest aerospacecompany. And we're just getting started; especially in the UK.The partnership between Boeing and the UK dates back to the 1930#8217;s and continues to get stronger and deeper, with UK jobs, skills and opportunities being constantly generated to support major UK programmes such as Apache, Chinook, C-17, P-8, ScanEagle, Support Chain Information Services, Government Services and Staffordshire Police, to mention a few.Boeing has doubled its UK workforce in the last five years to more than 2,000 employees. This growth continues, join us and you can build something better for yourself, for our customers and for the world.Reporting to the Rotorcraft Lead Safety Engineer, participate in System Safety engineering for new UK Rotorcraft programmes.The role has the following key responsibilities:1. Develop new System Safety artefacts and associated documentation in support of both system and platform level air system Safety Cases, including:a. Generation of Project/Programme Safety Management Plans.b. Performing Hazard Identification including:i. Preliminary Hazard Identification (PHI)ii. Functional Hazard Assessments (FHA)iii. Operating and Support Hazard Analysis (OSHA)iv. Occupational Health Hazard Analysis (OHHA)c. Generation of system-level System Safety analyses, incorporating both software, hardware and firmware-related occurrences, utilizing:i. Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), preferably using Reliability Workbenchii. Event Tree Analysis (ETA), preferably using Reliability Workbenchiii. Common Cause Analysis (CCA) techniquesd. Assisting in the generation of Platform-level System Safety analyses, including Risk to Life and Loss of Aircraft Models, utilizing:i. Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), preferably using Reliability Workbenchii. Event Tree Analysis (ETA), preferably using Reliability Workbenchiii. Common Cause Analysis (CCA) techniquese. Performing Zonal Safety Assessment (ZSA) at both platform and system-level.f. Creation and maintenance of Hazard Logs using both the eCassandra Hazard Log tool and DOORS databases.g. Creation and maintenance of Safety Arguments using either Claims-Argument-Evidence or Goal Structuring Notation, preferably utilizing the Adelard Assurance and Safety Case Environment (ASCE) tool.2. Critical review of pre-existing System Safety artefacts to ensure technical currency and also for applicability to the intended regulatory environment.3. Liaise with other Boeing, customer and supplier technical disciplines to ensure appropriate evidence is available to support the creation of required System Safety artefacts.4. Proactively support customer System Safety meetings and participate in System Safety Working Groups, including as the chair, if necessary.5. Engage with the programme management, planning and scheduling to ensure adequate provision is made for System Safety activities.6. Identify, monitor and execute risks, issues and opportunities and support the Lead Safety Engineer in development of mitigation plans.7. Support the further development, maintenance, review and update of company System Safety processes. Other job responsibilities may include assistance with the implementation of the BDUK Safety Management System within Aircraft Support and support the development of systems engineering products, Export Compliance (technical support of Technical Assistance Agreements (TAAs).The role may also encompass support of other aircraft types as required by the needs of the business.Travel within the UK and to the USA is expected to occur during the programme.All information provided will be checked and may be verified.Please apply ASAP for this role as recruitment may commence before the end date.Important information regarding this requisition: This requisition is for a locally hired position in the UK. Benefits and pay are determined at the local level.Essential competencies:
- Degree in Engineering (or equivalent technical qualifications and work experience).
- Formal System Safety training.
- 5+ years#8217; Experience performing System Safety Assessments within an appropriate Aerospace or Defence domain.
- Previous industry Safety Engineering experience in the application of Defence Standards, Military Standards and MAA safety policy and requirements, preferably within a military aircraft context.
- Experience developing and in-service management of Safety Cases, Hazard Logs and platform-level Loss Models.
- Experience with the use of common System Safety tools, preferably including eCassandra, Adelard ASCE and Isograph Reliability Workbench.
- Able to effectively identify and execute opportunities to improve strategies, processes and project plans.
- Strong communication skills and technical competency.
- Due to significant customer, supplier and wider Boeing interaction, a person who is pragmatic, diplomatic and strong minded is essential.
- Experience using the MoD ASIMS database for in-service occurrence monitoring and trending.
- Membership of an appropriate professional body.
- Knowledge of Military Rotary Wing Aviation.
- Completed or working towards a post graduate qualification in System Safety Engineering.
Yes, 10 % of the Time
BDS Global Operations
United Kingdom; Boeing Defence UK Limited